Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. As a biological dentist who is Mercury Free and Mercury Safe, I care deeply about my patients’ oral and overall health. We now know there are a number of oral health issues that can severely stress the immune system and have a dramatically negative effect on overall health. Chronic mercury poisoning from ongoing exposure to mercury vapor released from amalgam fillings is one of them. We understand that when an amalgam filling is removed in an unsafe, uncontrolled environment, the mercury negatively affects the patient, the dental team, and the environment.
As a Mercury Safe dentist, Dr. Johnson has the specialized equipment, training, experience, and skills necessary to dramatically minimize exposure to mercury during amalgam removal. The BDD Team has been trained in the selection of more biocompatible dental materials and works in conjunction with other medical professionals who are knowledgeable in testing for and detoxifying the mercury burden. We recycle all used mercury with an amalgam separator to protect you and the environment.
S.M.A.R.T (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique)
When the time comes to remove a mercury amalgam filling, your well-being is our priority. You will be offered an impermeable barrier to protect your clothes, head, neck and face, as well as a dental dam or other non-latex, sealed barrier. For further protection, you will be given your own personal, comfortable nasal mask for oxygen delivery. And, an air filtration system will be in use in the dental treatment room. The dental team will wear respiratory grade masks in addition to impermeable personal protective equipment. The BDD team works in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations for the proper handling, cleaning, and or disposal of mercury contaminated components.